Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Whole-Grain Pancake Mix

I'm always so jealous of people that can wake up and make a pancake breakfast for their family out of a box of mix.  It seems so quick, so easy and I've never been one to do that.  I do everything from scratch so of course I spend a great deal of time in the kitchen having to prepare things.  I love the idea of making a huge bag of pancake mix and then just adding in your oil, eggs and milk when it is time to whip them up for breakfast.  It saves so much time on my part and is still just as delicious.  I found this recipe at King Arthur Flour.  I didn't add the oil into the mix like the original recipe called for but opted to add that at the same time as the eggs and milk later on and I opted to make them 100% whole grain and not use the all-purpose flour but add extra whole wheat flour and oats instead and it worked just fine that way.  I liked to write on my bag what I need to add so there is no confusion.  1 cup of the pancake mix + 2 tbsp. oil (such as canola) + 1 egg + 1 c. milk.  This bag makes about 7-8 1 cup servings. 

Pancake Mix 

4 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Pancakes:

1 c. homemade pancake mix
1 c. almond milk
1 large egg
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

1 batch of the pancake mix made as stated above can make about 8 small pancakes.  The nutritional information for them is below.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION - 97.4 Calories * 5.0g Total Fat * .5 Saturated Fat * 1.3 g. Polyunsaturated Fat *  2.4 g. Monounsaturated Fat * 23.1 mg. Cholesterol * 27.5 mg. Sodium * 31.3 mg. Potassium * 11.4 g. Total Carbohydrate * 1.5 g. Dietary Fiber * 2.6 g. Sugar * 2.5 g. Protein

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You did it for me!! I've been meaning to experiment with a mix for a while as we eat a LOT of pancakes around here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete