Monday, March 19, 2012

Whole Wheat Berry Crepes


So I wanted to try something different for breakfast the other morning than our usual pancakes and decided to make crepes instead.  My daughter calls these the rolled pancakes and her favorite is to have hers spread with peanut butter and then rolled.  I personally like filling mine with frozen fruit that I reduce down into a syrup.  The first time I made these they took me quite a bit of time using just one pan.  Next time I made these I had two pans going at once so it made breakfast move along a lot faster and less complaints from the very hungry people in my house sitting at the table waiting.  My daughter wakes up and immediately goes and sits at the table and starts waiting for breakfast.  No pressure on me at all.  If I take too long in the kitchen grumbling starts.  Of course, because she is sitting at the table her little brother has to copy everything she does so then he immediately climbs into his seat too.  So now I have two kids sitting at the table and I haven't even had a chance to brush my teeth and walk out into the kitchen and even start breakfast yet!  I have some silly kids.  You can also lay these flat to cool and freeze them for quick breakfasts later too.  I like this recipe because you just add everything into the blender and let it whirl.  Makes clean-up easier.  You want to make sure you use less than a full ladle full of batter to a sprayed pan and hold it off the burner turning it all around allowing the batter to coat the entire bottom of the pan for a very thin even circular layer.  I have a thin spatula that once the first side is cooked you just really quickly flip it.  It may take a try or two to get the hang of it.  I usually ruin my first one every time.     

Whole Wheat Berry Crepes

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 c. almond milk
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. orange zest
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Add all ingredients into the blender and allow to mix until nice and smooth.  Heat a pan (or two) on a medium-low temperature and spray the pan with a non-stick spray.  Ladle about 3/4 of a ladle full of batter onto pan and coat bottom entirely creating a very thin circular crepe.  Flip after cooking about 2-3 minutes on one side.  Keep warm in a tea towel while you make the others.  Lay flat and fill with your favorite filling, such as jam, fruit, or peanut butter.  Roll and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment