Monday, March 26, 2012

Pasta Puttanesca

This is the first time I've ever made this recipe or ever had pasta puttanesca.  I'm not sure why because it was fantastic.  My husband doesn't like olives, onions, capers or anchovies.  That is probably why I've never even considered making this before.  This is Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond's recipe that can be found on her site The Pioneer Woman.  I didn't mash the olives but instead sliced them so my husband could pick them out of his pasta.  I had to omit the onion all together.  One secret that he still doesn't know and I hope he doesn't read this and find out.  I did add the anchovies into the dish.  He loved the dish and if I told him he'd never eat it again.  So why ruin a delicious dish by telling him what was in it?  He hates all seafood.  I made sure to mash the anchovies up really good and let them dissolve in the oil when starting the sauce.  I made a bit too much and am excited that we'll be eating this again tomorrow as leftovers! 

Pasta Puttanesca

 8 ounces, weight Bucatini Or Spaghetti
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 whole Red Onion, Sliced
1-1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes, Halved
3/4 cups White Wine
2 cloves Garlic
4 whole Anchovy Filets
1/2 cup (heaping) Assorted Pitted Olives
12 whole Basil Leaves
4 ounces, weight Good Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta until al dente.  Mash (in this order) garlic, anchovies, and olives using a mortar and pestle, or just chop them finely together. Set aside.  Using a fork, crumble the Parmesan cheese.  Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced red onions and cook until slightly caramelized. Add halved tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in wine and cook for another two minutes, then pour in garlic/anchovy/olive mixture. Stir and continue cooking for several minutes, or until sauce is nice and reduced and wonderful. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Drain pasta and add to the skillet. Add the crumbled Parmesan and toss to coat pasta in the sauce.  Tear basil leaves and sprinkle over the top. Serve right out of the skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment