Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ginger Pumpkin Chia Muffins (Dairy-Free)

Up until about a month ago I had never heard of chia seeds.  These seeds apparently are some new little magical seed that has all these wonderful things for you in them.  They are high in omega 3's, fiber and protein.  These weird little seeds can be added to water and turn it to an almost solid gel.  I recently saw an episode of Doctor Oz talking about these seeds and giving me a recipe to try them in.  So I bought them and tried them.  These muffins call for ground chia seeds.  I have the whole seeds and just stick them in my spice grinder and grind them myself when I need them.  These muffins were really good.  I added ginger and cinnamon to mine and substituted sweet potato puree for pumpkin puree since I already had the pumpkin on hand.  I also added in dried cherries in addition to the dried cranberries.  I was worried they'd taste too healthy and not sweet enough but was pleasantly surprised that they were really good.  I could definitely eat one of these for breakfast and feel good about it.  The only thing I'd do a bit different next time is I'd add in some chopped nuts for a bit of a crunch, I think that'd really give a nice boost to these muffins.    

Ginger Pumpkin Chia Seeds

1 tbsp. ground chia seeds
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup 100% pure pumpkin purée
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried cherries (chopped)

Mix together wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Add in the dried fruit.  Scoop into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350˚F or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment