Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chicken Ropa Vieja

I found this recipe at Skinny Taste.  I was looking for some new Mexican recipes that were relatively low in fat.  I made this recipe the day I found the recipe and oh boy was it a good one!  The shredded chicken can be eaten by itself, in a flour tortilla or in a regular store bought taco shell.  This is another one of those dishes I know I will be making again for my family and soon.  This might have to replace the ground beef we usually have on taco night.  You can actually get all the nutrition information from the Skinny Taste site linked above as well as Weight Watchers points if you are dieting.  I really liked having that information with a recipe when I'm trying to eat better.  Both my kids loved this recipe too, so a winner anytime I can get them to eat a new recipe.  



Chicken Ropa Vieja

3 (22.5 oz) chicken breast halves
1 small onion, quartered
1 tomato, quartered
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 c. reserved broth
1 tsp cumin, or more to taste
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 carrot, and 2 cloves of garlic into saucepan on stovetop.  Add water to cover, and cook on medium-low until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.  Place the chicken into a bowl and shred it into strips using a fork; set aside.  Make sure to reserve the liquid.

In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the remaining 2 garlic cloves, 1 onion, 1 red bell pepper, and 1 orange bell pepper.  Cook about 3 to 4 minutes.  Stir in chicken, tomato sauce, white wine, and about 3/4 cup of the reserved broth to create a nice sauce.  Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.  Cover and summer on low for about 10 minutes more adding more broth and seasoning if needed.  Makes about 4 cups.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this..I literally just clicked on a link for a linky party and this recipe came up, and I said I don't know what this is but it looks amazing. I'm adding this to my recipe book! I can't wait to check out the rest of your recipes. Cute blog! I'd love it if you looked at my blog sometime too! http://bridgetbakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete