Sunday, December 18, 2011

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Something that I like to do around the holidays every year is make Peanut Butter Blossoms.  Everyone has had these delicious cookies at one time or another.  The recipe is even on the back of the Hershey Kisses bags this time of year.  For my daughter's school Christmas party I wanted to make 4-6 different types of Christmas cookies to bring to the potluck.  A fun way to make these cookies a little more Christmas like is to roll them in green and red sugar before baking like my picture below.  The cookie platter is one of my dishes at the potluck I was just to rushed and things a bit too hectic for me to take pictures beforehand and afterwards it was definitely too late because they were all gone.  
Peanut Butter Blossoms 

48 Hershey Kisses Chocolates
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar (can use red or green sugar)
 
Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.  About 4 dozen cookies.
Slept the entire way home from her party.
My little reindeer.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these cookies! And your little reindeer is adorable! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower and your site is just what I needed :) My husband has made the same Paula Dean Monster cookies 5 times over LOL . They are good but I'm happy to try new recipes. Glad I found you !

    ReplyDelete