Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chocolate Butterscotch Fudge - Crazy Cooking Challenge

This one was a really hard one for me.  My mom makes the best fudge in the world.  The only person's fudge that can rival hers is mine.  I absolutely HATE, yes hate is a strong word, but I hate fudge made in the microwave or made with sweetened condensed milk.  To me that just isn't what I'm looking for in a fudge.  I don't like the taste or texture.  I think once you go the cooking fudge route you never go back.  I like fudge that requires cooking and a candy thermometer.  Of course, my candy thermometer is broken so I just make it without one because I've made fudge one too many times.  So I searched high and low to find a fudge recipe that didn't include sweetened condensed milk and required cooking.  I wanted to do something different but every recipe I found and tried I was displeased with.  I mean I can't post about a fudge that I took one bite of and tossed it because it wasn't worth the calories for me to eat it.  Then I found it.  I have to say this is probably one of the most wonderful, delicious, amazing recipes I've ever made.  I'm absolutely head over heels in love with this fudge and am terrified I'm going to eat the entire pan all by myself! 

This is chocolate fudge with a butterscotch fudge layer.  I love the combination of these two flavors.  This fudge is so rich and decadent and everything a fudge should be.  It takes a bit of work making two fudges, in two pans, at the same time but so worth it.  You really only need to do both at the same time if you plan on swirling the fudge flavors together which I originally thought I was going to do but changed my mind at the last minute.  So if you are going to layer them you can make them separately if you want since fudge is something you really need to keep an eye on and stir a lot so it doesn't burn.  I had a whisk in both hands for this.  
Photobucket

I found this recipe on Year on the Grill.  He originally was making a black and white fudge but the color of the white fudge wasn't what he wanted so he switched gears and turned it into a butterscotch fudge instead.  What a brilliant idea!  I did make a few tiny little changes to it.  Boy am I glad I found this recipe! 
  

Chocolate Fudge

1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
3 tbsp. Cocoa
1 1/2 tbsp. White Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
4 tbsp. Butter
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips



Combine sugar, syrup, cocoa, 2 tbsp. of butter and cream.  Boil to the soft ball stage (234 degrees F to 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer).  Add in the chocolate chips and whisk until melted.  Drop in the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter and vanilla extract, but do not stir.  Allow to cool 10 minutes first.  Then beat until the chocolate slightly loses that glossy look.  Then you will need to immediately pour into your prepared (greased) dish because it will start to set.

Butterscotch Fudge

1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 1/2 tbsp. White Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp.Vanilla
4 tbsp. Butter
3/4 cup Butterscotch Chips

Combine sugar, syrup, 2 tbsp. of butter and cream. Boil to the soft ball stage (234 degrees F to 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer). Add in the butterscotch chips and whisk until completely melted.  Drop in the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter and vanilla extract but do not stir.  Allow to cool 10 minutes first.  Then beat until creamy and not as glossy.  Then immediately pour over the top of the chocolate fudge because it will start to set pretty quickly.  At this point you can swirl the two together with a butter knife by doing figure 8's or allow to set layered. 


VOTE # 38 if you like my recipe!

10 comments:

  1. Well I think you found a winner with this one. My husband would absolutely love this one! Beautiful pictures! Thanks for commenting and following :) I'm following you right back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a big butterscotch fan. He's love this! This fudge challenge is so much fun. I made orange infused fudge--on the stovetop--you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM! Your fudge looks fabulous! What a great blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! I love the way it looks with two layers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband would love this!

    I'm #2 (Nutella fudge w/ sea salt). I would love for you to stop by my blog if you haven't already :)
    http://thecrunchymamacita.blogspot.com/2011/12/nutella-fudge-with-sea-salt.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious!! I love butterscotch and chocolate. Please visit and vote for me too! I'm #78.
    http://kitchenjoyblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/crazy-cooking-challenge-cappuccino.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're right, and I had never made fudge before the challenge....and I thought most fudge recipes were with sweetened condensed milk. Thank you for opening my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I can't believe all these fabulous fudge recipes, but I'm sure yours is the best. They all look wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete