Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chunky Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

 I loved using oats and nuts but no one else in my house really likes these things, especially in a cookie or dessert.  I saw Anne Burrell making these recently on Food Network and decided to treat myself a bit and use all the things everyone else in my house hates and make myself a delicious batch of cookies.  Not to mention that I've been making a ton of different types of cookies lately trying to find one really awesome unique cookie for the Crazy Cooking Challenge reveal in October.  Obviously this one wasn't the winner since I'm posting it here now.  I really liked this cookie.  You can see by the picture that I prefer my cookies still a tiny bit gooey in the center instead of crunchy.  I'm a soft, chewy, gooey cookie gal.  I changed the type of nuts in this recipe and opted to not use the sea salt at the end.  I was surprised that I liked the hint of cinnamon in the recipe because I usually don't care for the combination of cinnamon and chocolate.  But it was really good and very subtle.   

Chunky Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces block dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and kosher salt.  In large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter. Using an electric beater or the paddle attachment of the stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until it they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat them into the butter and sugar mixture. Add in the vanilla as well. With a rubber spatula or with the stand mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and walnuts. Spoon the cookie dough by 2 tablespoon-size balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Place the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 12 to 13 minutes.  Let the cookies cool for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

1 comment:

  1. Oats/nuts/chocolate is my favorite combination! Stumbling from Something Swanky :)

    ReplyDelete