Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hamburger Buns

So I'm on a quest to find the perfect recipe for homemade hamburger buns.  The ones at our store here on base really aren't good and we have limited options.  Of course, I don't have the time to make homemade ones every time I make burgers but I like to take something simple like a burger and make it extra special by making homemade buns and homemade mayonnaise to go with it.   This bun was tasty, and I certainly wouldn't complain being served it but it wasn't the "perfect" bun I'm looking for.  I really enjoyed it and the dough was so silky and smooth it was really nice to work with.  I used a recipe from Food.com but adapted it to my own liking by modifying the amounts of butter, sugar, yeast and salt.  I felt when I made my first batch I could taste the sugar too much and not enough of the salt so I reduced the sugar amount and upped the salt a bit and found the next batch turned out much better. 


Hamburger Buns

1 1/4 c. whole milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp. butter + 3 tbsp. melted butter
1/8 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 3/4 c. bread flour
2 tsp. yeast



Place milk and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted and milk is lukewarm.  You can turn off the heat and allow to set aside until roughly 110 degrees.  Then add the yeast and 1 tbsp. of the sugar to the milk mixture.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes until bubbly.  In the meantime add the remaining sugar, salt and bread flour to a standing mixer fitted with dough hook.  Pour in the milk mixture and beaten egg and allow to knead on low for a few minutes until rough ball forms.  Turn to medium and allow mixer to knead dough for another few minutes.  Turn out on floured surface and knead by hand until silky, smooth and then form a ball.  Place in greased glass bowl (making sure to place upside down to get the top oiled then flipping it) and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours.  Pour out onto floured surface and flatten to a rectangle using a rolling pin if necessary.  Use an upside circular cup or circle cutter to cut about 10-12 buns out.  You'll want each of them to be about 2 inches thick.  Place buns on greased cookie sheet using 3 tbsp. of the melted butter to brush on top.  You can add sesame seeds now if you wish, or you can brush once they come out of the oven with butter and add them then as well.  Allow to rise another 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake approximately 12-15 minutes or until light and golden.  Allow to cool and then slice in half to use as a bun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment