Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Red Velvet Brownies

I was in the mood to make something different than your regular brownie yesterday so I did a red velvet brownie with a cream cheese swirl.   My swirl didn't turn out very swirly but these weren't a hit.  My husband loved them and so did my daughter.  My 1 year old chased me around the house hoping I'd give him a bite.  The cream cheese taste is subtle but really made a big difference in the taste of the brownie.  I like fudgy brownies so I baked mine for about 25 minutes and then cooled in the fridge until set.  If you like it more cake like I'd cook for about 30 or so minutes. 

Red Velvet Brownie

1 stick melted butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. white vinegar
2 eggs
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Cream Cheese Swirl:

3 oz. cream cheese
3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.

For the brownie, melt the butter in a saucepan. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring and vinegar mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour and baking powder until lightly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.  For the cream cheese swirl blend together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl until creamy and no lumps.  Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan.  Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow them to cool completely before cutting.

Post Shared With: 
At Home with Haley 

No comments:

Post a Comment