Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mama's Rice Krispy Treats

Growing up my mom always made rice krispy treats for us kids.  Though her version wasn't the version most people know.  We don't use marshmallows in our rice krispy treats.  I personally love this kind and have never and will never make the kind with marshmallows.  Since I am so very far from home being in Japan and all and I'm such a mama's girl I wanted to make something that reminded me of my mom and home a bit.  Being so far away makes me miss my mom more than I usually do!  My mom use to put the chocolate in the middle but I did it on the top instead just because I didn't have a ton of time to make these because the kids wanted to go to the park.  These are awesome and I personally think once you have this rice krispy treat you'll never care about the ones with marshmallows again!  And did I mention these are super simple and quick to make! I crumbled my rice krispys just a bit instead of leaving them completely whole but that is just a personal preference and isn't necessary.  Also you can adjust the amount of butterscotch chips if you want.  I like to add a few extra ounces in there then what the recipe actually calls for just for extra butterscotch deliciousness! 

Mama's Rice Krispy Treats
 
8 c. rice krispy cereal
1 c. creamy peanut butter
12 oz. butterscotch chips
24 oz. dark chocolate

Place your rice krispys in a food processor and pulse about 5 times just to break them up a bit.  About 4 cups at a time will fit.  Or place in a large ziplock bag and smash just a bit.  You don't want crumbs just to break it up a bit.  Melt the peanut butter and butterscotch chips in a double boiler.  Pour over the rice krispys and stir until completely coated.  Pour onto a greased 8x10 pan and place in the fridge to cool and allow to start to set.  Next melt the chocolate (I used dark because I like it better) in a double boiler and just pour the melted chocolate over the top of the rice krispys until the entire top is coated.  It is easier to pour and spread if the rice krispys have cooled a bit first.  Then just place in the fridge until completely cooled and set and then cut into bars.

1 comment: