Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Konnichiwa from Japan

This is my daughter sitting on a bench near a bus stop in Yokosuka, Japan.  This was our first trip off of the Navy base.  Don't ask me what those signs say on each side of her because I have absolutely no idea in the world.   The first few days here were a bit overwhelming for me but we've now been here a week and I find that I am really enjoying it so far.  I find that I can actually carry on a standard "Hi, how are you, fine, thank you and you, goodbye" conversation all in Japanese quite well already.
Menu at one of the restaurants 

I don't care for the base really but we've left the base to explore the last two afternoons and evenings now and I find that I absolutely love it.  The people in this country are so unbelievably polite and friendly.  I find that I am really soaking up and enjoying the culture here so far.  Also, the food is amazing.  We've only eaten off base a few times but it is by far the best food I've had in a long long time.  Luckily the menus have pictures so I can just point to what I want and shake my head since I have no idea in the world what the menu is saying.  I'm hoping to not only take a class soon on learning Japanese but also Japanese cuisine.  I'm eager to get into the kitchen and try some new things and hopefully sooner rather than later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment