Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

We went to the farmers market on Saturday and they had rhubarb there.  Well I've never had rhubarb and certainly never cooked with it before but decided I wanted to give it a shot.  I already had some strawberries on hand so decided to do a crumble as that is always a hit in my house.  I took a taste of the raw rhubarb and thought it tasted awful since it is so bitter.  I just hoped that by tossing it with the strawberries and sugar it'd make it edible.  I know there are people everywhere that use rhubarb so I knew there had to be a reason.  Well it worked, quite honestly I don't think you could really taste the rhubarb just the strawberries but still, at least it wasn't a throw away dish or anything.  It turned out really tasty and my husband even asked for seconds which is always a sign that he enjoyed whatever it is I put in front of him.  Maybe next time I'll use more rhubarb to see if I can make it more of the star of the show instead of just a back note.   


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble


For Fruit:

1 lb. (2 cups) rhubarb, leaves trimmed, stalks only, diced
1 pint (roughly 3 cups) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
3/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. of lemon zest, freshly grated


For Topping:
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 c. all purpose flour

1/2 c. oats 1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 c. chopped pecans (if desired)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon zest. Transfer to a buttered 8-inch baking dish. For topping, combine flour, oats sugar, cinnamon and walnuts, pour in melted butter and toss to combine, crumble over fruit mixture. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned which should be about 30 minutes.
Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


This post shared with: 

At Home With Haley

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've never cooked with rhubarb either. I'm just going to have to try it! I've eaten it before, just haven't cooked with it. Thanks for the inspiration. =) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome, glad I could help. I hope to try some other new things with it as it wasn't bad (as long as you don't bite into it raw!)

    ReplyDelete