Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Frosting

This week was mine and my husband's 8th wedding anniversary.  So of course I wanted to make a dessert we didn't have every day but nothing overly fancy.  I did a simple chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  They were both absolutely delicious, but when is chocolate cake not!  The chocolate frosting is a really good frosting but I'm looking for something better.  I don't know what but figure when I find it I'll know.  This is my standard go-to frosting recipe.  I've asked a friend for a few of her go-to chocolate frosting recipes and hope to start playing with them and trying them out in the near future so I can find one that is truly magnificent.  Granted making a bunch of frosting sounds like I'll be eating way too much frosting and I'm pretty sure that isn't what I need so I think I'm going to have to spread this out over time to make sure I don't end up turning into a cake myself! 

Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. fresh brewed coffee

Frosting:

1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
2/3 c. cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans.  Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake pedestal. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.

For the frosting melt the butter. Stir in cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Ad in the milk beating to spreading consistency.Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Makes about 2 cups of frosting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm your newest follower.I'm newbie at blogging and just found you today from Debbies newbie party,,this is one heck of a yummy cake!

    ReplyDelete