Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicken Piccata

So I'm on a new diet.  It is called the Paleo diet.  Pretty simple, I eat lots of fresh vegetables, meats and fruits and some nuts.  I stay away from grains, legumes, dairy and processed stuff, and of course sugar.  I've committed myself to 30 days of this, so we'll see how it goes.  I know by the end I'm going to be begging for chocolate!

So tonight I had to take a recipe I make often and made it fit into my diet.  I can't use flour, not white flour or wheat flour.  So my new flour is almond flour.  This recipe turned out awesome with the substitutions I used to make it fit my diet.  I actually think I liked the almond flour on this chicken better than regular flour.  Since I'm new to using almond flour though I was worried I'd burn it and make it taste bitter so I allowed the chicken to get brown on both sides and threw it in the oven to finish cooking.  Technically with chicken piccata you want very thin chicken breasts but I didn't have the time to do that.  Also, probably not suppose to have wine but figured I wasn't drinking it, just cooking with it.  If you aren't dieting, finishing the sauce of with about 2 tbsp. of butter right before serving.  I had to leave that part out because I can't have dairy for 30 days.

5 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/4 c. dry white wine
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. chicken stock
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. capers, drained
3/4 c. almond flour
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place the almond flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper.  Dredge the chicken breasts into the almond flour.  Turn the pan onto a medium heat and add 1 tbsp. of the oil.  Cook chicken on both sides until golden brown. If they aren't very thin pieces place on a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven for about another 6 minutes. Add the remaining oil and garlic to the pan.  Allow to cook just a minute or two.  Add the wine and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add in chicken stock, lemon juice and capers and simmer another few minutes.  Add the chicken back into the pan and cover with sauce and allow to finish cooking in sauce.  Garnish with lemon slices and/or parsley.

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken piccata...how great you could work this yummy dish into your diet. Good luck with your 30 day challenge :)

    ReplyDelete