Friday, April 29, 2011

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes (Non-Dairy)

I posted a few weeks ago my regular buttermilk pancake recipe which is awesome.  These are an alternative.  My regular ones take a bit more time and effort.  These are my quick go-to for my daughter's breakfast.  This is actually a whole wheat pancake, non-dairy, no sugar and with added pumpkin and banana.  So if you aren't looking for something healthier, check out my regular pancake post.  If you are looking for a healthy quick pancake recipe, this is the one for you.  I use Almond Milk (plain) instead of regular buttermilk to eliminate the dairy.  I also use whole wheat flour for the extra fiber, pumpkin puree for the extra fiber and because it is high in Vitamin A.  I also ran out of Agave Nectar the other day so I used honey in this today though usually I use Agave.  The bananas are mashed and added for extra sweetness instead of using extra sweetener but you can totally leave it out if you want.  Though I don't have a problem with sugar I like to use more natural sources in things when I can.  I care very much about the things my daughter eats and like to start the day with something nutritious that isn't sugar loaded.  Now the picture does have maple syrup, that is my plate, haha!  My daughter eats hers with a thin layer of peanut butter instead of syrup to give her extra protein.  These taste great and you'd never even know they were healthy!   These freeze great.  I always make an extra batch and freeze them all.  Take one out, pop it in the microwave for 25 seconds, flip it and another 25 seconds and it makes a super easy healthy weekday breakfast for the kids or for you. My regular pancakes have the eggs separated and the whites whipped and folded into the batter,  this recipe is a quicker version of pancakes.  Which means you can do that if you have the time which will give you a much fluffier lighter pancake but these are really good without it too.  

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes


1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tbsp. agave nectar or honey
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. canola vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. plain Almond Milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. pumpkin puree (about 1/2 of the can)
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
**optional - 2 medium bananas, mashed (very ripe)

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl.  In a separate bowl combine the honey, eggs, oil, almond milk, vanilla, and pumpkin and combine well.  In yet another bowl, mash the bananas and add it into the pumpkin mixture.  Combine the wet and dry and whisk until just barely combined, do not over mix or your pancakes won't be fluffy but more dense.  Pour into desired size on a hot buttered or oiled skillet or griddle and cook until you see bubbles on one side, then flip and repeat until both sides are golden.  Enjoy! 

1 comment: