Sunday, April 24, 2011

Challah French Toast

Something I've started doing every Easter in my house is making a Challah Bread French Toast for brunch.  I love french toast, well anything with syrup really!  You can use any bread you want in this recipe I just made Challah Bread the day before specifically to make for today.  I find that using Almond Milk gives the custard mixture a very subtle nutty flavor which I really like.  But since Almond Milk is quite light, like a skim milk, I also use a bit of half-n-half as well to make it a bit more rich.  If you can't have dairy you can use all Almond Milk and it is still awesome.  Despite all my dairy rich recipes I actually try to limit the dairy intake in our household for me and my daughter and most weekday mornings make this recipe with no dairy and using Whole Wheat Bread.  This is a versatile recipe and hope you enjoy it!


French Toast
4 eggs
3/4 c. Plain Almond Milk
1/4 c. Half-n-Half
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. sugar
8 slices of bread 
Powdered Sugar, for dusting
Pure Maple Syrup

Combine the eggs, almond milk, half-n-half, orange juice, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and whisk until the eggs bubble a bit and there are no big lumps of cinnamon.  Preheat your skillet or griddle and add either a bit of butter or non-stick spray.  Dunk each piece of bread into the custard mixture and drop on the griddle.  Cook just a few minutes on each side and flip once the first side is a light golden brown.  I like to sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar on mine and serve with Pure Maple Syrup. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I am thinking brinner for dinner for us one night this week. I LOOOVE good french toast. (Yea, I'm doing it without the homemade bread part!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love french toast and your recipe sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete